Tuesday, September 16, 2008

United Way Basket

I am not one to volunteer for events at work. Somehow I got roped into this one, though. A few of my co-workers and I were picked to be in charge of the basket for our United Way charity event this week. We really only had about a weeks notice to get everything together. I have to say, I suck at ideas. Good thing someone else came up with the Halloween Basket idea.

We called different businesses in the Salt Lake area that had Halloween events going on and we were able to get a bunch of donations! We had haunted houses donate tickets, a dance company that is putting on "Thriller", The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Show, the Heber Creeper Train and lots more. I really was negative about it at first, but after awhile it got kinda fun! Especially seeing the outcome, our basket is worth a little over $800 with everything in it. They will be auctioning this basket on Friday! I will be sure and update my blog with how much it was sold for.

I included a picture of it below, I used my phone camera so it's not that great. But you get the point!


5 comments:

Brandice said...

Nice going, Katie. Give aways are the BEST! I hate asking for donations, but it is a lot more fun giving away other people's stuff than your own. :) That is a cool thing to do. And when December comes around you can say you already did a "Sub For Dracula" or something, so you will be off the hook for donating at christmas.

Cameron's Corner said...

When you call these places to get free stuff donated, what do you show them to prove you are who you say you are?

Basically, I'm asking if I could get free stuff by calling people and asking if they want to donate anything to a Charity Basket.

Katie M. said...

Nice try, Cameron! We sent them an official letter on our letterhead with an explanation of the event and gave them a receipt for tax purposes....

Tami Harris said...

That's awesome! Just think...you got the good karma on your side now. You give a little, you get it back!

I sure hope you guys are good! I'm sure glad to have gotten you know you and Troy, you guys are awesome!!

dixons said...

Looks Great Good for you sista! XOXOX