Sunday, September 14, 2008

Grandma Joyce

My grandma's funeral was this weekend. This was my dad's mother, so it was extra hard for me and my family. Troy has been so loving and supportive with me, I'm so grateful for him. Like my brother, Mike said in his talk at the funeral - my dad and grandma are doing a lot of catching up right now!

After I posted this, I noticed my big brother blogged about this as well. I really liked it if you get a chance to read it: Mike's Blog.


JOYCE ANN MACKAY OWENS






Joyce Owens 1917 ~ 2008 Joyce Ann Mackay Owens, our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, sister and friend, returned to her Heavenly Father Thursday, September 4, 2008, at the age of 91. She passed away peacefully at home, surrounded by her family.Born July 28, 1917 in Murray, Utah, to Leonard and Wilma Faye Atwood Mackay. Married Homer Bringhurst in 1938; later divorced. Married John Edward Owens October 24, 1949 in Salt Lake City, Utah; solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple in 1951. They were blessed with seven children and raised their family in the Salt Lake Valley. Joyce was an outstanding Avon representative for many years and found other ways to supplement the family income. She enjoyed reading, traveling, creating beautiful handwork, including crocheting and quilting. She loved to garden and was an outstanding homemaker and cook. She was a champion and protector of her children, where at times that red-headed temperament emerged. She was feisty! And we loved her for it. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Joyce faithfully served in many callings, including Primary President, Relief Society Presidency and long-time Sunday School teacher. She and John also attended the temple faithfully for many years. She was proud to be a member of "Daughters of Utah Pioneers". She was politically conscientious and supported her community as a District Judge and Registrar. Survived by her husband, John; children: Gilbert Bringhurst, Jo-Ann (David) Naylor, Maryland; Kelly (Claudia) Owens, Nancy Ann Hawker, Sandy (Randy) Hansen, John Roach; daughter-in-law, Linda Bringhurst; sisters: Barbara and June; brother, Stan; 24 grandchildren; 47 great-grandchildren. Preceded in death by her parents; son, Terry Bringhurst; daughter, Beverly Bringhurst; sisters: Ruth, Phyllis and Maxine; brother, Keith; grandson, Shawn David Naylor. The family wishes to express their appreciation to the staff of Silverado Hospice for the kind and caring service they rendered to our Mother. Funeral services will be held Sat., September 13, 2008, 11 a.m. at the Atherton Chapel, Atherton and Phillips Lane (1457 W. Atherton Dr., Taylorsville, Utah). Viewings will be held Fri., 6-8 p.m. at McDougal Funeral Home, 4330 S. Redwood Road and Sat., at the church, 9:45-10:45 a.m. Interment, Larkin Sunset Gardens, 1950 East 10600 South.

2 comments:

Mike Bringhurst said...

Looks like we kind of think alike.

Those are cool pictures, I may snag one for my post.

Love ya

dixons said...

What a beauty she was!
I am so sorry Cunty! Man you have had a tough couple of years! I am always here for you remember that! Love you BURNT