Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Night at the Fair

My friend, Vanessa and I decided to go hang out at the Utah State Fair last night. I think the last time I was there was with my sister and her 3 kids about 8 years ago. I also have memories of going with my High School boyfriend when I was 16 . I had this idea that it was mainly for young children or teenagers who wanted to go with their boyfriends and hold hands and make out on rides. But - I found that it is just as fun when you are 29 years old with no kids and you don't bring your boyfriend! Or husband in my case. I didn't even bother to ask Troy. Maybe I am rude, but I knew I would get something like "I'd rather be poked with a sharp stick in the eye" or something to that effect.



Vanessa and I work together, so right after work we headed downtown. We ate some yummy pasta at Noodles & Co. (love their macaroni & cheese!) and proceeded to the fair. I had also forgotten how scary that part of town is on North Temple. Yikes! I unfortunately forgot my camera, so an old picture of me and Ness will have to do.




We walked around and shopped for a little bit at first. I bought a cute new purse and a travel cozy neck pillow as seen on TV! I love those things when I'm flying or driving anywhere. And it was only $15.


As we were walking around I noticed a few older ladies with purple shirts and black pants with cowboy hats that looked familiar. My mom has been line dancing for about 15 years now and she dances in a group called "Young at Heart". I called her cell phone a few times to see if she was there but couldn't get a hold of her. I didn't see her all night, but I later found out she was there all along and we missed her! Her group performed at the fair earlier, I wish I had a chance to see them. I told her for sure next year. I love that my mom gets out and stays active. She even joined a square dancing class, she is having fun and I am glad!


Pretty soon we ran into some people we knew, a friend from work and her husband. We ended up hanging out with them the rest of the night, it was a blast! We went on every cheesy carnival ride that you can't find at Lagoon. They are extra scary because they travel and are constantly being taken apart and put back together. We went on the Starship 2000, which I remember being called the Gravitron in High School. We laughed the entire time and luckily nobody puked! I even went on the giant slide for the first time, looked something like this:


Everywhere we walked we could smell deep fried something or other. The people watching was great! I even talked Vanessa into walking through this so called "side show" and witnessed a cow with two noses and a steer with 6 legs (two of them were growing out of it's back). I have to say, I had the full State Fair experience and it was all worth it!

4 comments:

Just Me said...

I LOVE the fair! As I told you, I'm going on Sunday for the Demolition Derby. Starts at 6 but we are going there in the afternoon to enjoy the "festivities". I'm glad you had fun!

LT said...

Yeah, I probably would have taken the sharp stick in the eye. Carnies freak me out a little bit.

Quela said...

Mmmmm, gotta love deep fried anything! Imagine what it would be like if that stuff was healthy.

Mike Bringhurst said...

Hey, I went to the fair with you three years ago too.... You don't even care about me.
I should have taken the kids to the fair for sure. Drew loves funnel cakes now and he could have eaten so many he puked like he almost did at Knott's Berry Farm last year.
Fairs = Fun