Saturday, August 9, 2008

Regeneration Tour

Troy and I went to The Regeneration Tour this past Thursday, Aug. 7th with our friends, Adam and Jodi. Now, I am a HUGE 80's pop music fan. Growing up in the 80's, I had a brother graduate high school in 1984 and a sister graduate in 1987. I was used to hearing singers like Billy Idol, Depeche Mode, Thompson Twins, A-Ha, etc. - you get the point. I loved it all, and I loved it through High School and still love it all today. I even have 2 pre-sets on my Sirius Satellite Radio set to "New Wave" and "80's Hits".


Troy, on the other hand, was listening to bands like Motley Crue, AC/DC, Van Halen, Def Leppard, etc in the 80's. The more "butt-rock" type music you could say, and I have grown to like these bands more as I get older. He wasn't super excited for this show we went to, but he went and he did enjoy himself!

The performers were awesome. They all looked a bit old. Not old like The Rolling Stones or The Who, which we've also seen in concert. But 25 years older than they did when they first made it big. The venue was originally going to be at Usana, but they changed it to The Depot at the Gateway. I had only been here once before and I remembered how much I loved it. It's smaller, but there are plenty of seats and the sound quality is outstanding.


They came on stage in the order I liked them least to best. I didn't dislike any of them, but they did save the best for last. The first band was Naked Eyes. You might remember "Promises, Promises" and "Always Something There to Remind Me"



Second was ABC. The lead singer came out in a suit and tie and rocked the stage. Songs by ABC are "The Look of Love", "Be Near Me" and "Poison Arrow"




Third came out Belinda Carlisle, formerly singer of the Go Go's. Loved her, she looked beautiful . She said she knew she made it big when this song made it into elevators and supermarkets: "Circle in the Sand". Some other songs she sang were "Mad About You", "Our Lips Are Sealed", "Vacation", and "Heaven is a Place on Earth"





The last group to play was The Human League. My favorite. They had a more electronic sound to them, anyone who has heard them knows. Their stage set-up was awesome and they sounded exactly how I remembered them growing up. Their popular songs are "Love Action (I Believe in Love)", "Fascination", "Human" and of course "Don't You Want Me Baby"



















The other group that wasn't there that was originally in the tour was Dead or Alive. Apparently the lead singer, Pete Burns, is having health problems. My friend at work said it's probably because his face is falling off :) They sing "You Spin Me Round" and "Brand New Lover"














There were rumors that A Flock of Seagulls were going to perform in place of Dead or Alive. I was so stoked to hear them, they are also one of my favorite 80's bands (I have their greatest hits) but they didn't end up coming. Their great songs are "I Ran", "Space Age Love Song", "Telecommunication" and "Wishing (If I had a Photograph of You)".

I have already voted for the bands I want playing at the next Regeneration Tour. Psychedelic Furs, Tears for Fears, Thompson Twins, Howard Jones, O.M.D. and The Fixx. I'm interested to hear who will be on the list!

3 comments:

LT said...

'Butt Rock' ??? I prefer the term 'Hair Bands' :) Even 'Ass Rock' is better than 'Butt Rock'. I was going to talk to you: can I add Belinda Carlisle to my 'list'?

Cameron's Corner said...

I remember hearing Howard Jones nicknamed "Ho Jo", but I can't for the life of me remember what he sings that I might know.

By the way, I think Butt Rock is just fine. We're in Utah, after all. Ass Rock won't work. Hair Bands is ok, but Butt Rock seems degrading, which is why I love to use it.

JoRae aka Lolae said...

I really like the term butt rock too. Just fits so well, sorry Troy. I am so glad you have a blog. It is so fun to keep in touch this way. BTW, a couple of years ago, I saw OMD (sings "If you leave" from Pretty in Pink) and REO Speedwagon. It was so fun, I so love the '80's music.