Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I act like a 5 year old, so what?

Those that know me really well know that I think the dumbest things are funny. Most of you shake your head when I giggle uncontrollably over things a 5 year old may laugh at. I have listed some examples below. Please keep in mind while reading that YES - I am almost a 30 year old woman :)



Let's start out with my desire to push every single button on a toy that sings/dances/laughs/shakes, etc. I find as many of them I can find and push the buttons all at once, so they are going simultaneously but each one a little delayed. It sounds like one big garbled loud noise by the time I've hit all of them. I think it may have started when I was in high school at K.B. Toys in the mall. There was this children's show called Bananas in Pajamas. The song goes something like "Bananas! In Pajamas! Are coming down the stairs!" I found myself going into that store just to push all of them at once every time I was at the mall. Most the adults were irritated, and I always left the store laughing and in tears.






Sheesh, just last Sunday we were all at my mom's house for dinner. She has this frog that has a motion sensor and sings a really dumb song every time you walk by it. For some reason I find it hilarious to let that thing play over and over. My brother, Nate had something to do with this too. I guess it runs in the family? Poor Troy - he doesn't think it's funny at all!


The next thing I would like to talk about is silently bugging people. I mainly like to do this to Troy (again - poor guy!) I will lightly poke his side or arm to the point that it kind of tickles and it takes him awhile to realize what's happening. Or if we're on the couch watching t.v. or reading in bed, I'll move my body around to the point where the couch or bed jiggles just a tiny bit. After a few seconds, Troy realizes that he's moving a little and looks over to find me with a huge grin on my face. I'll also do similar things with my friends that are not so silent. I'll say the same thing or make a noise over and over until they can't handle it anymore and tell me to shut up. When they get to that point of irritation, that is when I think it's the funniest!




I love to make dumb noises. Now this may be genetics because my older brother has been known to make awful - yet funny - loud noises, especially in public. My older sister, Amy, and I have come up with our own language. It's really hard to explain in writing without hearing this for yourself. We say 'UUUURRRRRR' a lotreally loud and "vurts" at the end of a lot of words. Troy has dubbed this the "vurt talk" and it only comes out when I'm around my sister. AND - my sister is ten years older than me!


I can't get enough of potty humor. I love all potty talk, but "poop" talk is the best. My brother and sister love it when I'm around their kids because I get them all hyper talking about farting and diarrhea, etc. This goes for my friends with kids, too. Some of my nieces and nephews just roll their eyes at me when I start talking about different kinds of poo. This should be a sign to me that I should act my age, but I don't. I've also been known to carry around "Flarp". This is a children's toy (of course) that consists of puddy in a plastic container. When you push down on the puddy, it makes really cool farting noises. I love using this one in public!





The last thing I can think of, that only certain people can handle, is my belching ability. I avoid doing this around Troy 100% as well as some of my friends. I enjoy doing this one in public and I do not need a carbonated beverage to do it (although it does help). I have had strangers applaud me in restaurants and people say "That was a girl!" I've also received really crusty looks from people and comments like "That was disgusting, I can't believe people". I usually try and keep a straight face if people turn around to see who it was, to look conspicuous. Sometimes I'll even turn around myself and say to myself "who was that?" My friends usually laugh or walk way ahead of me in embarrassment.


So there it is. I am a 5 year old trapped in an almost 30 year old body. I am always "crossing the line" as my old college roommates used to say. I can't just do something once, I have to do it over and over or say something grosser to get a reaction out of people. I really don't think this is something I need to change in myself, it's part of who I am. Sure I may irritate the hell outta people, but I know some limits and I'm having fun!



10 comments:

Lindsey Buck said...

Ha ha... I'm a lot like this too. There is a difference between growing up and maturing, and I intend to make sure people realize that.

Julie said...

This is why I love you!

Anonymous said...

This is why I love you also. Except when we almost got stabbed with a butter knife from that bum!!

Just Me said...

Poop! I love poop!
And always remember, that I giggled along with you to the Dr. Pepper Indiana Jones thing.....
So I guess I'm 5, too. Wanna play Barbies later?
Love you!

Katie M. said...

I loved the guy at Denny's that wanted to stab us with a butter knife! FAVORITE!

And Jess - we also laugh at "who loves the chocolate" and "badgers, badgers, badgers"

LT said...

Let this be a lesson to everyone: learn all you can about the person you are going to marry BEFORE you marry them. I'm stuck with a 30 year old that acts 5.

Johnny Metropolis said...

Look at it this way troy when she's 80 she'll act like she's 20...

Brandice said...

You and Mike must be twins. He is 5, too.

JoRae aka Lolae said...

I am totally laughing at this post, because I have witnessed half of these. I have to say when you are around I am completely entertained. Too bad it is not that often.

Mike Bringhurst said...

BRAAAAGGHHHHH, HEWO, MY NAME IS BIWWY AND I AM A WITTLE SWOW, BUUUUUUUUUTTTTTT MY FAVER IN HEAVEN WOVES ME ...... BEECCAAUUSSEEE!!!! MY MOMMY SAYS SO.

This is real fun to yell out loud in a crowded mall, with extra emphasis real loud on the braaaggghhh, the bbbbuuuutttt and the loudest of all on the beeeeccccauuuussssseee.

Acting five when you're 42 is the funnest, way funner than when I was 5 because you can't spank a 42 year old.