Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fred

I have a plant that sits at my desk at work named Fred. One time I asked my co-worker that sits across from me if she could water it while Troy and I were on our 7 day cruise earlier this year. She asked me what it's name was, and I told her it didn't have a name. So I decided right then and there I would name it Fred.


Fred is a compilation of 3 different plants that I received from friends and family when my dad passed away in April, 2006. They used to be in two separate pots, one was at home and the other at work. The one at home was looking kinda sad, so I asked my mom if she could help me re-plant them into one big pot. I had no idea what I was doing and had never planted ANYTHING so I am grateful for her help.
I know it seems silly, but I have never had or taken care of a plant before this (besides the occasional flowers) and I'm happy that Fred is still alive. He is special to me, I feel like a part of my dad is still with me.


4 comments:

Brandice said...

Katie, I SO know what you mean!! I cried the day I accidentally left my funeral plant outside for too long and it crashed. But I am really happy that I saved the flowers from one of the wreaths at the funeral and I had them freeze dried and arranged in the identical wreath pattern, which is now hanging on my wall downstairs. Luckily those are not living plants or I would have had to throw them out too. I am NOT a good plant person!

LT said...

Fred. That's a good name for a plant. Do you play him soft classical music and clean the dust from his leaves periodically too? :P

Just Me said...

When my grandma died we all took a few different colored roses from some of the flower arrangements. When my apartment flooded and they had to move all my stuff around, they knocked of a BUNCH of the petals of my dried roses. They will never be the same again.
Sad....
But at least you have Fred! Go Fred!

Katie M. said...

Troy: No, but I did used to play him Enya music in the morning. His leaves are looking a little dusty!

Jess: I'm sorry about your flowers! I would be so sad.